If you want to report the abuse or neglect of a child, CALL the Nebraska Child Abuse/Neglect Hotline at 1-800-652-1999. You may remain anonymous.

Filing a complaint with the OIG is not the same as reporting to CPS. Please call the number above to report concerns for child abuse and neglect. 

File a complaint with the OIG here.

Other ways to file a complaint:

  • Call our office at -1-855-460-6784 or (402) 471-4211
  • Send us an email at
  • Write us at State Capitol, P.O. Box 94604, Lincoln, NE 68509-4604

Who can file a complaint?

Anyone — including family members, a concerned neighbor, teacher, ¬†attorney, or police officer — can file a complaint with the OIG with concerns about specific children and cases or broad misconduct in the child welfare and juvenile justice systems. The information our callers provide is confidential and is not disclosed.

What types of complaints does the OIG investigate?

By law, the OIG accepts complaints or concerns related to allegations or incidents of wrongdoing by any of the following:

  • Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS);
  • Juvenile Probation;
  • The Commission on Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice’s Juvenile Justice Programs;
  • Private agencies and service providers under state contract;
  • Licensed child care facilities;
  • Foster parents; and
  • Juvenile detention and staff secure detention centers.

The OIG does not have the authority or ability to look into complaints relating to the court process, such as decisions made by judges, the conduct of attorneys, or immediate concerns about the safety of children.

If you have reason to believe that a child is the victim of abuse or neglect, immediately call the Nebraska Child Abuse/Neglect Hotline: 1-800-652-1999.

What can I expect if I file a complaint with the OIG?

You can choose to keep your identity and the information you provide to the OIG confidential.

You will be asked to provide detailed information about your complaint. The more information you can provide the OIG, the more successful our investigation will be.

The information you provide to the OIG is not part of the public record, and it cannot be used in court.

The OIG will conduct a confidential, independent, and thorough investigation of your complaint.

The OIG cannot share the results of its investigation with you.

If you want more information about an ongoing case, please contact the agency you are working with. For those involved with DHHS, you have the option of going through the child welfare grievance process.

File an online complaint with the OIG here.